Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

Hello friends! It's time to look at the last year and set goals for the bright shiny year ahead of us!

For someone who hates to-do's and can't manage a goal as simple as "be less than 20 minutes late to work this week" I actually do really well with New Year's resolutions. I try not to set too many and I really try to make them count. 2013 was a wonderful year in a lot of ways and I'm excited to bring in a whole new year of opportunity! Let's get started shall we?

Goal 1: Buy a House
This is the big one, the grandmother of all goals. I am going to buy my first house this year. If you follow  this blog you probably know that better money management has been something I have been working on for years now. I was in quite the hole 2 years ago and I really felt like shit about it. My credit score was around 450, my wages were being garnished for defaulted student loans, and as a single parent I was falling further and further in debt trying to cover basic living expenses. I've been slowly chipping away at the debt, being a little more responsible with each raise, cutting out discretionary purchases. And I hunkered down and entered in a repayment plan on my loans to get them rehabilitated - at over $800 a month. I'm proud to say that my student loans are now in good standing and I have a decent credit score for the first time in my adult life. So now, before I celebrate by spending all my money on shit I don't need, I need to shift focus in saving for a down payment. This has been a dream of mine for so long and I can't believe its so close to becoming a reality.

Goal 2: Resist the Urge to Chop Off all my Hair
Every 6 months or so I chop off all my hair. Is this because I like my hair short? No. It's because of 3 things: 1) I'm bored 2) Because I always wanted one of those doll heads where you could cut off all the hair and it would magically grow back but that doesn't exist and my friends won't let me cut off their hair and my hair will non-magically grow back so it will have to do. 3) I'm afraid of becoming attached to any part of my "beauty." But you guys, it takes HELLA long to grow out my hair and it's easier to play with when I have more of it. So I'm going to stay away from the scissors this year.

Goal 3: I'm Not the Woman who Sleeps with Fucked Up People Anymore
Hey, do we have nothing in common? Do you have serious emotional issues that you refuse to acknowledge? You would have been my dream sexy partner, until now. The hardworking, charming, responsible adult always lusting over complete assholes with zero conversation skills - that's not who I am anymore. I know that a lot of my friends have gotten a lot of laughs about this over the years, and I laughed right along with them - because it kept the focus off of me and on the unfortunate souls I was dating. But here's the truth: I'm terrified of intimacy. I date people I have nothing in common with, people I don't like, people who don't like me, because I am absolutely terrified of ever needing someone and ever letting anybody see how completely messed up I can be. So it's not really funny; it's sad and it's mean to lie to the people in my life like that. And I'm not going to do it anymore.

Goal 4: Change My Name
Ok I've been totally ashamed to admit this, but did you know that my license still reads Ijeoma Jacobson? I have been divorced for 11 YEARS people. Even worse, I didn't even change my name to Jacobson until 3 weeks before I filed for divorce because I dreaded the thought of taking that name so much. So why does my license still say Jacobson? Why am I still hyphenating my tax returns a decade after my divorce? Because I'M TOO LAZY TO TAKE MY NAME CHANGE FORM (SIGNED OFF BY THE JUDGE IN 2002) TO THE DAMN DMV. How rediculous is that? I swear, I really am a grownup.

Well that's it friends! My big goals for 2014. I hope you all have a wonderful year full of love and laughter and adventure.

1 comment:

  1. These goals sound great. It’s all for the benefit of you and your kids. I hope everything will be polished before the end of the year, especially the house. But I admit, I think it’s too big. Better start with a small one, like changing your last name. You’ve been divorced for 11 years, it’s really time to change your last name and update all your information to avoid inconveniences.

    Mona

    ReplyDelete